Union County Historical Society
Use the Quicklinks in the panel on the lower right side of this page for navigation.
Read more details on Navigation
Newest Newsletter 2016 Vol.6, No.1
Music on the Porch Sunday, September 25
L.S. Armbruster, a local musician of great reknown, will entertain visitors with traditional music on Sunday, Sept, 25, 2 to 4 PM at the Dale/Engle/Walker House, 1471 Strawbridge Road, Lewisburg.
Armbruster is a Lewisburg area singer/guitarist who has performed several genres of popular music (rock, acoustic indie music, and folk-rock), but has in the past three years concentrated on folk music. He enjoys performing ballads, songs with a story, drawn from traditional American, Canadian, Celtic and British folk sources. Armbruster plays with a happy and relaxed demeanor, and enjoys playing in small venues because, he says "no one will have me in larger ones! I just like to bring a bit of pleasure to the listener and especially like introducing current teenagers and young adults to folk and traditional music. Once they hear it, many embrace it, which is why the genre of Americana is growing by leaps and bounds." Armbruster will play on the porch (weather-permitting) or in the parlor of the historic Dale/Engle/Walker House.
Tours of the house will be offered, focusing on the architecture of the limestone house, begun in 1793 by Samuel Dale, with additions in the mid and late 1800s. The kitchen hearth is original and furnished with period cooking utensils. The Engles ran a dairy farm on the site; the exhibit "Milkin' It" has dairy memorabilia including milk bottles and advertising material from dairies around the county. Tours include the Wagon Shed with a large collection of vintage farm tools and equipment.
Admission is $5 for adults/ $2 for children 13-18, free for children 12 and younger. Bring the family for a tour at an historic site and an afternoon of music!
Directions: from Route 15 in Lewisburg, take Route 192 wet for 1.5 miles, turn on Strawbridge Road and continue 1.5 miles to the site at 1471 Strawbridge Road, Lewisburg.
SEPTEMBER PROGRAM: Massacre & Murder in the Susquehanna ValleyMassacre & Murder in the Susquehanna Valley:
A look back at the Lee Massacre and Pine Creek Indian Murders with Kathy Swope
Thursday, September 29 at 6:30 PM
at the Herr Memorial Library, 500 Market St., Mifflinburg
In the summer of 1782, a group of Senecas attacked and killed members of the Lee family in Winfield. This incident and the Pine Creek Indian murders highlight the atrocities that were committed by both the native inhabitants and the settlers, reflecting the tensions and the feelings of anger and resentment that were infused in the settlement of Pennsylvania’s frontier in the late 1700s.
Kathy Swope, of Winfield, will examine what led up to this event and the subsequent actions taken across the Susquehanna frontier. Swope serves on the board of Lewisburg Area School District and the Pennsylvania School Boards Association. She is interested in and has written about local history, and helped organize Union Township's bicentennial celebrations.
The program, sponsored by the historical society, is free and open to the public. To register, please call the Herr Library at 570-966-0831.
BOOKSTORECheck out the Bookstore for new Items such as Historic Playing Cards and Union County Coloring Book
2016 Season at Dale/Engle/Walker House with Dairy Exhibit and special Collections Exhibit
The Dale/Engle/Walker House, 1471 Strawbridge Road, Lewisburg, will exhibit anything dairy this year.
The house features the exhibit “Milkin' It: Union County's Dairy History” with local dairy bottles, caps, milk boxes and advertising. The exhibit “Union County Collects” has a variety of interesting pieces from the society's collection including a beautiful set of hand-painted locally-made chairs. Tours of the house include the original hearth with period cooking implements, the wagon shed with vintage farm tools and equipment, and the old milk house with a dairy display.
The Dale/Engle/Walker House, 1471 Strawbridge Road, Lewisburg, will be open for tours and exhibits every Sunday afternoon 2 to 4 PM from June through October.
Directions: from Route 15 in Lewisburg, take Route 192 west for 1.5 miles, turn north on Strawbridge Road and drive 1.5 miles to the site.
For more information, contact the Union County Historical Society at 570-524-8666 or firstname.lastname@example.org, and visit the website at http://www.unioncountyhistoricalsociety.org/
Admission is $5 for adults, $2 for children age 13 to 18, free for children 12 and under.
The Dale/Engle/Walker House will be open every Sunday afternoon from June through October. Watch for special Celebrate Heritage events throughout the season. For more information, contact the Union County Historical Society at 570-524-8666 or email@example.com
SAMHAIN Scotch-Irish Halloween Celebration October 30, 2016
Scotch-Irish Halloween Celebration
Sunday, October 30, 2016, 1:00-4:00 p.m.
Game: Snap Apple
An apple is suspended from a string and children are blindfolded.
The first child to get a decent bite of the apple gets to keep their prize.
For younger children, a doughnut suspended in the same way may be used.
Pumpkin Carving & Painting Demonstration
Dates back to the 18th century and to a blacksmith named Jack who colluded with the Devil. He was condemned to wander the earth but asked the Devil for some light. He was given a burning coal ember which he placed inside a turnip that he had gouged out. Villagers in Ireland hoped that the Jack-o-lantern in their window would keep the wanderer away. When the Irish emigrated to America there was not a great supply of turnips so pumpkins were used instead.
Free pumpkins to all children to decorate at home.
Irish Barmbrack Cake
Traditional Irish cake, filled with dried mixed fruit, eaten on holidays. It is tradition to add objects to the barmbrack which symbolize certain things having to do with fortune and marriage for the person who receives each slice.
Serve slices with root beer and water.
A specially decorated space will be created for families to take photos.
Guided tours of the house and hearth will be conducted at 2:00 and 3:00.
Wagon Shed and Milk House will be open.
Self-guiding tour sheets to the outside of the house will be available.
This event marks the end of the tour season at D/E/W.
*Samhain - pronounced SAH-win or SOW-in; a Gaelic festival marking the end of the harvest season and the beginning of winter or the “darker half” of the year.