Union County Solar Farm Information

New Image

Union County staff have been receiving requests for information from agricultural landowners regarding leasing their land to solar farm developers interested in constructing utility-scale solar projects.  The purpose of this page is to provide educational resources about solar farm leases and large-scale solar farm infrastructure.

We strongly recommend that landowners consult an attorney familiar with solar leases prior to signing any documents provided by solar farm representatives. Property owners should have an understanding of the impact of these leases, both financially and on the use of their land. We also recommend that landowners contact their municipality to learn of any solar ordinances that may be in place.

Penn State Extension has developed a series of webinars to answer some of the frequently asked questions about solar leases and shows the equipment and size of utility-scale solar farms . A selection of these are available below:

Navigating the Leasing Process of Utility Scale Solar in PA: Understanding Key Lease Terms provided by Penn State Extension

Large Scale Solar Development for Landowners (1 hour)

Solar Leasing FAQs, Options, Bonds, Commissioning, Finding and Attorney, and Bankruptcy (13 minutes)

Solar Leasing FAQs--Lease Documents, Taxes, and Mineral Rights (10 minutes)

Solar Leasing FAQs, site questions (17 minutes)

Solar Farm Leasing Information

Should you have additional questions, please contact Cindy Kahley, Union County Agland Preservation Administrator at 570-524-3860 or by email at [email protected] regarding solar on your preserved agricultural land. You can contact Joan Duncheskie, Union County Chief Assessor at 570-524-8616 or by email at [email protected] to answer tax assessment/Clean and Green questions. 

The Union County Commissioners welcome your input and comments regarding the content and value of these webinars and suggestions for providing further assistance regarding solar farm lease agreements. To contact them, please use the form at the bottom of this page.